Goats. Those goats!

As you know, we have two one-week-old kids. Bernie Sanders is the son of Maisie. Kiki is the daughter of Penny. I have spent many hours this past week trying to figure out where they are, because their mothers are both somewhat irresponsible and go off with the crowd for partying (grazing) and may or may not bring their kids with them.

There is nothing more worrying for me to count the goats at night and find those two little kids are missing. Again. and Again.

Last night, we got all the goats in before we shot off our fireworks, except, apparently, those two little kids. OMG. I was sure they were dead somewhere out in the field. I left the gate to their night pasture open so Penny and Maisie could go find their kids and bring them home – and of course the big LGDs were out with them for protection.

This morning, all the goats were out in the field, and I hoped that the moms had recovered their kids. John and I went out to brunch, stopped at WalMart on the way home, and I fully expected to see the kids with their moms under the big shade tree they all hang out under during the heat of the day.

Nope. No Bernie Sanders, no Kiki. Two mama goats with extremely swollen teats, look up at me and basically shrug their shoulders.

I knew it was my turn to go look for the darn kids. Buffy, Willow, Cassie and I took off into the horse pasture first.

It was too hot to do much more than go down to the lake and climb back up. I am not in great shape, and it’s a pretty humid, hot summer day. I decided to try to get those darn mama goats up off their butts to go look for their kids.

I yelled at them. I sprayed the hose on them. They just got up, walked a couple of feet away and settled down again.

I figured I was going to have to go look more myself. So I got in the Ranger, turned it on and headed down the road towards the end of the property. I heard a goat screaming, turned around, an Penny was chasing after me – screaming for her kid.

I went one way when we got to the dead end – she went through the fence and kept going.

In a few minutes, she returned, with two very bouncy kids, who had apparently spent the night out hidden away in the woods. She allowed both of the kids to nurse from her (told you Bernie Sanders is a socialist goat- he thinks he gets to have everyone’s milk), and then they trotted back to the big shade tree. Willow got up in the Ranger with me and we followed them down the road.

About Beth Donovan

Wife. Mom. Grandma. fiber artist, goat farmer, messy housekeeper, decent cook. Oh, and I can shoot. Really well.
This entry was posted in Castle Argghhh Farm, Goats and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Goats. Those goats!

1. mobiuswolf says:

All’s well that ends well. I guess. The fence won’t keep the little ones in, I take it?

What’s up with momma’s sudden panic when she wasn’t worried all night? You think she knew where they were? Have you no predators?

LOL Inquiring minds want to know. I’m actually making progress convincing Mia we need goats.

Liked by 1 person

• Beth Donovan says:

Oh, there are coyotes all over the place, and the occasional itinerant bobcat. We also have eagles in winter and red hawks all the time.

It’s hard to explain our situation. The land on the other side of our land is empty. The fencing is non-existent between some areas of our land and theirs. And the goats go over there and graze at times. The landowners don’t mind – goats mostly eat the awful weeds no one wants anyway.

But my livestock guardian dogs do keep predators away almost all the time.

The kids are hardwired to lay still and keep low and not make a sound if they are alone. It is almost impossible to find them without the assistance of their mother.

Liked by 1 person

• mobiuswolf says:

Same as all babies, I guess. We had a fox try for the chickens the other day. Pulled a few feathers, but we got there in time and it took off. Momma lost some feathers so I guess she faced him down. go figure. Chicks are safe.

Tafv and I tried to find the den but couldn’t strike a trail.

Sounds like our place. Nothing south and west of us for many miles but woods.
        THis is us 45.253014, -69.581649 The new google maps doesn’t work nearly as well as the original. sigh

I’m an Okie originally so I remember the country down there.

Liked by 1 person

• Beth Donovan says:

I’m in Northeastern Kansas – the only hilly part of the state.

Liked by 1 person

• mobiuswolf says:

Okmulgee, born and raised.
        Capitol of the Creek Nation.

2. mobiuswolf says:

Oh yeah! Dog pictures please! What kind are they? They stay out with the goats?

• Beth Donovan says:

Livestock Guardian Dogs. Buffy the Coyote Slayer is a Maremma Sheepdog. Not AKC recognized but that’s probably best – AKC breed standards tend to make dogs inbreed too much.
      Molly is a Great Pyrenees/Komondor mix. She’s a mess. I won’t get another Great Pyrenees or a Komondor. I like the Maremmas.
      There are about 8 different breeds from Anatolian Shepherds to the Great Pyrenees that have all been bred for guardian animals. If you get one raised with chickens along with other livestock, they will also protect them.

Liked by 1 person

• mobiuswolf says:

My lab is good with the chickens, mostly, but he thinks he’s a lap dog so he usually misses all the action. He does listen for them though, and responds when they throw a fit.

I like the Maremmas, too. Yours stay out with the goats?

3. KaiCarra says:

Did the Mama Goat just all of as sudden remembered her kids- or did she just want to get to them before you did. Mama goat needs some mommy lessons, methinks.
    🙂

Liked by 1 person

• Beth Donovan says:

Well, Penny is a first-time momma goat, so I give her a little slack. I think that she gives up on her kid until I remind her, then she will go look for Kiki, but the other mama goat, Maisie, is too lazy to go with Penny, so Penny usually rounds up both her own and Maisie’s.

Liked by 1 person